Max Verstappen: F1 chief Stefano Domenicali is confident the Red Bull driver will not quit the sport despite criticism of new car | F1 News

Formula 1 president Stefano Domenicali recently revealed he was confident Max Verstappen would not leave the sport despite the four-time world champion expressing concerns about new regulations for the 2026 season.

Speaking to the media at F1’s pre-season event, Verstappen said the new cars, which the sport’s bosses have attempted to make more sustainable, are like “Formula E on steroids”.

Verstappen said last year that he doesn’t really see himself “hanging around” if he doesn’t find the sport’s new car “fun” to drive.

But Domenicali, who spoke to Verstappen at Formula 1’s final pre-season test in Bahrain on Wednesday, was confident the Red Bull driver would not be leaving the grid anytime soon.

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Verstappen was one of the first drivers to take to the track in the opening test in Bahrain last week.

“I met Max,” Domenicali said. “We know Max will be part of the future of Formula 1 and, as with all top drivers, it is very important to listen to him.

“He has a way of saying things that can be interpreted in a certain way, but I can assure you that Max wants and cares more about Formula 1 than anyone else.

“I have had very constructive meetings with him and we will have very constructive meetings with the FIA ​​and the teams to highlight our view on what he needs to do, which is to not change the approach and keep the driving style central.

“Advances in automotive technology require different ways of driving cars. That has happened in the past and will happen in the future.

“I’m sure you’ll see other comments later in the year or at the end of the year. This is normal in Formula 1.”

Having won the drivers’ title for four consecutive years from 2021 to 2024, Verstappen has established himself as the best driver on the current grid.

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Verstappen reflects on Red Bull’s performance during the first Bahrain pre-season test.

His future has been the subject of much speculation over the past few years, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff pushing hard to land the Dutchman from rivals Red Bull.

On how he is confident Verstappen will not retire, Domenicali added: “Because I have a very good relationship with Max.

“I know him very, very well. I spend a lot of time with him. That’s why. And he loves Formula 1. There’s no doubt about that.”

Questions have been raised as to whether racing could suffer due to the drastic nature of the 2026 rule changes, which will see both new powerplants and chassis introduced.

Use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

McLaren’s Oscar Piastri was left ‘stranded’ on the track before Lewis Hamilton once again made a successful practice start in his Ferrari.

“I don’t understand the panic that’s going on,” Domenicali said, with the opening round at Melbourne’s Albert Park just two weeks away.

“There will be amazing racing, there will be a lot of action and that’s the most important thing. Every time there are new regulations, as there were in 2014, 2017 and 2021, there are suspicions that everything is wrong, so we have to remain calm. I’m not worried at all.”

Sky Sports F1 Bahrain Test Schedule

Friday February 20th

Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Sky Sports, starting with the Australian Grand Prix from March 6-8. Stream Sky Sports NOW – No Commitment, Cancel Anytime

  • 6:50 AM – 11:05 AM: Morning Session Live
  • 11:55 AM – 4:10 PM: Live Afternoon Session
  • 8 PM: Test Lab