Home News Australia slams China’s military jet maneuvers as ‘unsafe’

Australia slams China’s military jet maneuvers as ‘unsafe’

Australia slams China’s military jet maneuvers as ‘unsafe’

Australia has accused Chinese military aircraft of firing flares from a ‘close location’ to its patrol aircraft over the South China Sea.

The Australian government has raised concerns with the Chinese government about “unsafe and unprofessional” actions, the Department of Defense said in a statement on Monday.

There was no damage to the Australian P-8A aircraft and personnel were unharmed following Sunday’s encounter.

“Australia expects all countries, including China, to operate their armed forces in a safe and professional manner,” the Australian Defense Force said.

When asked by reporters, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said he had no knowledge of the incident.

It is the latest in a series of encounters between the two countries’ militaries in the region, where China’s vast claims to islands and outcrops overlap with those of its neighbors.

The incident also occurred as Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was heading to the United States for a meeting with President Donald Trump. The two leaders are expected to discuss Aukus, the multibillion-dollar submarine deal between Australia, the United States and Britain.

Australia also accused Chinese jets of dropping flares near an Australian plane in the region in February. At the time, China said the Australian jet had intentionally violated its airspace and its response had been “lawful and restrained.”

Australia does not claim sovereignty over the South China Sea, but has taken a closer stance with the United States and its allies, saying China’s claims have no legal basis.

Last May, Australia accused Chinese warplanes of dropping flares near an Australian Navy helicopter participating in a UN Security Council mission in the West Sea off the coast of South Korea.

In November 2023, Canberra accused the Chinese navy of using sonar pulses in international waters off Japan, which injured Australian divers.

Exit mobile version