Home Technology Biden White House Says TikTok’s Threat to Go Dark is a ‘Stunt’

Biden White House Says TikTok’s Threat to Go Dark is a ‘Stunt’

Biden White House Says TikTok’s Threat to Go Dark is a ‘Stunt’

White House press secretary Carine Jean-Pierre called TikTok’s threat to “blink” tomorrow a “stunt” and said there was no reason TikTok or any other company should be banned before the Trump administration takes office Monday morning. , several media outlets are reporting.

“This is a stunt and there is no reason for TikTok or any other company to take action just days before the Trump administration takes office on Monday.” MSNBC To quote Jean-Pierre: “We explained our position clearly and simply. It will be up to the next administration to take action to implement this law. Therefore, TikTok and other companies must address all concerns related to them.”

The statement comes a day after TikTok threatened to take TikTok offline unless the Biden administration provided assurances that companies like Apple and Google would not be held liable for violating the ban upheld by the Supreme Court yesterday. Company CEO Shou Chew also appealed to Donald Trump, saying the company was “grateful” for his support of the platform.

President Trump said in an interview, “It is most likely that a 90-day extension will be granted.” Meet the press Host: Kristen Welker NBC News. This follows reports earlier this week that the president-elect plans to issue an executive order.

Given that the ban expires before he is sworn in, it is unclear whether Trump will actually be able to extend it. He could choose not to enforce the ban, as Biden said, but Apple and Google would still have to decide whether it’s worth the legal risk of ignoring the ban by letting Trump’s words allow the app to be downloaded.

Exit mobile version