Home News Israeli forces find bodies of 6 hostages

Israeli forces find bodies of 6 hostages

Israeli forces find bodies of 6 hostages

The six men were all kidnapped from Kibbutz Nir Oz and Kibbutz Nirim, near the border fence between Israel and the Gaza Strip, during a Hamas offensive in southern Israel on October 7.

The Hostage Families Forum said in a statement that the discovery of the bodies provided “needed closure” for the families, adding that the return of the remaining hostages in Gaza “can only be achieved through negotiations”.

In June, Israel confirmed the deaths of 51-year-old Popplewell, 79-year-old Peri, and 80-year-old Metzger. The IDF said the three men were killed during an Israeli operation in Khan Younis.

In July, the IDF also confirmed the deaths of 35-year-old Buchstab and 76-year-old Dansig, and said the deaths were under investigation. Israeli media reports citing military sources said at the time that it was “highly likely” that at least one of the men was killed by Israeli gunfire.

According to official Israeli estimates, 105 hostages remain in Gaza, 71 of whom are believed to be alive. Four other hostages were already in Gaza before October 7, and two of them are believed to be dead.

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Galant said in a statement that the bodies were recovered after a “complex operation”, adding that Israel would continue its efforts to “dismantle Hamas.”

Israeli President Isaac Herzog: “We send our heartfelt condolences and warm embrace to the families.”

“We must not stop for a moment from working by every means possible to bring back all the hostages,” he added.

The Hostage Families Forum urged the Israeli government to “do its utmost to conclude the negotiations currently underway”.

Long-awaited ceasefire and hostage release talks are underway, and U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken is currently touring the Middle East to push for an agreement.

Secretary Blinken is expected to arrive in Egypt on Tuesday and meet with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi to continue pushing for negotiations.

On Monday, Mr Blinken said he had agreed to a US “relay proposal” after meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem, a discussion Mr Netanyahu described as “positive.”

The Israel Defense Forces said on Monday they had expanded operations in the southern Gaza Strip's Khan Yunis area and the outskirts of the central city of Deir al-Bala.

Five people were killed on Monday when an Israeli airstrike struck an internet distribution facility in western Khan Yunis, according to local health officials.

AFP reported three people were killed east of Abasan, citing medical sources.

Israel launched a military operation in the Gaza Strip on October 7 in response to the unprecedented casualties from an attack by Hamas militants in southern Israel, which left about 1,200 people dead and 251 hostages.

More than 40,173 people have died in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Strip Health Ministry.

Exit mobile version