
europe
Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said he had a “good call” with US President Donald Trump on Sunday.
Last month, Trump announced 20%tariffs on most EU products, but later reduced to 10%by July 8, allowing negotiations.
Von Der Leyen said Europe said, “We are ready to develop the conversation quickly and decisively and” we need time until July 9 to reach a good deal. “
Trump commented on the White House journalists on Friday afternoon before talking to the block and cited the negotiations that he plans to raise tariffs on all products sent to the United States to 50 percent by June 1.
On Friday, Maroš šefčovič, the chief executive of the EU, reaffirmed the block’s promise to secure a fair deal.
He received a call from the US trade representative Jamieson Greer and the Minister of Commerce, and said, “The EU participated entirely to secure a suitable deal for both.”
He continued to say: “EU-US trade is unmatched, not a threat, not a mutual respect. We are ready to defend our interests.”
Trump has long criticized for its unfair trade relationship with the EU, despite being one of Washington’s largest trading partners. According to US government data, last year, the EU imported $ 370 billion in goods to the United States, exporting $ 60 billion (£ 52.8 billion) to the United States.
The president has raised concerns about trading automobiles and agricultural goods. Some tariffs have been suspended for negotiations earlier this year, but there are 25%of EU Steel and Aluminum.
European leaders continue to warn of escalations. France and Germany demanded diplomatic solutions and stressed that tariffs would harm the two economies.
The EU threatened its own measures against the United States and stopped for a while.
It said it would introduce 25%of tariffs on US products in Europe ($ 120 billion; £ 15 billion).
Blocks are also consulting on additional measures for US imports of 950 billion euros.









