
US President Donald Trump said he would accept 30,000 people by ordering the construction of migrant detention facilities to Guantanamo Bay.
He said the facility at the US Naval Base in Cuba will accept “the worst illegal alien who threatens the American people” to be separated from security prison.
Guantanamo Bay has long been used for accepting immigrants criticized by some human rights groups.
Wednesday, Trump’s “Border Tsar” Tom Homan said that existing facilities will be expanded and operated by immigration and tariff execution (ICE).
He said immigrants could be taken there immediately after intercepting from the sea by the US Coast Guard, and the “highest” detention standard would be applied.
It is not clear how much the facility costs or when it is completed.
The Cuban government promptly condemned the plan, accusing the United States for torture of “occupied” land and illegal detention.
Trump’s announcement was made after signing the law on the so -called Laken Riley Act, which was held at a trial that was suspended in prison with unused immigrants arrested for theft or violent crime.
The bill, named after Georgia’s nursing student last year by an immigrant in Venezuela, was approved last week by parliament, which is an early legislative victory of the administration.
Trump said at the signing ceremony in the White House’s East Room, the new Guantanamo administrative order would order to “prepare” 30,000 bed facilities to the Defense and Homeland Security Department.
“Some of them do not believe that the state is holding them,” he said. “So we’re trying to send them to Guantanamo … it’s hard to go out.”
According to Trump, the facility will double the capacity of the United States, which can hold unplicited immigrants.
The United States has already used the facilities of Guantanamo, known as Guantanamo Migrant Operations Center, through various administrations of the Republican Party and the Democratic Party for decades.
In the 2024 report, the International Refugee Support Project (IRAP) accused the government that they had immigrants secretly under the indefinite “inhuman” condition after detaining them in the sea.
GMOC has mainly accepted immigrants accepted in the sea, and recently, the American Civil Liberties Union was the subject of free requests for information for the disclosure of records of the site.
The BIDEN administration said, “It is not a detention facility, none of the immigrants were detained.”
The Trump administration, however, said the planned expansion facility is very intended as a detention center.
Reportedly, as part of the expenditure that the Republican Republican member is trying to assemble, it was reported that Congress was requested to fund the expansion of existing detention facilities.
When asked to reporters of the White House, Kristi NOEM Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport said only money would be assigned through “reconciliation and expenditure.”
Guantanamo’s military prisons have been detained in the United States after the 9/11 attack in the United States for decades for decades and held prisoners.
He had hundreds of prisoners at the peak, and several Democrats, including Barack Obama, vowed to close it. There are 15 prisoners now.
The news of the expansion of the facility has been rapidly criticized by the Cuban government, and has long been considered “occupation” and has been criticized for the existence of a US naval base on the island since Fidel Castro swept power in 1959.
“In the ACT ACT of Brutality, the new government of the United States announced that it would be located near the torture and illegal prisons known to thousands of forced immigrants at the Naval Base of Guantanamo, located in the territory of Cuba, which was illegally occupied. “Miguel Díaz-Canel wrote on X.
Bruno Rodriguez, Cuban Minister of Foreign Affairs, said that this presentation showed “destruction of human condition and international law.”