After the organizers reprimanded Miss Mexico, the Miss Universe contestants left.

Several contestants have walked out of the Miss Universe pageant after an official from host country Thailand publicly criticized Miss Mexico, sparking a tense standoff.

Miss Universe Thailand director Nawat Itsaragrisil criticized Fatima Bosch for failing to post promotional content in front of dozens of contestants at a pre-pageant event.

When she objected, Mr Nawat called security and threatened to disqualify those who supported her. Ms. Bosch then left the room and others joined her in solidarity.

Video of the live-streamed incident was shared online. The Miss Universe Organization (MUO) condemned Mr Nawat’s “malicious” actions, for which he apologized.

Miss Universe contestants who won their country’s national pageant attended Tuesday’s event wearing sashes and gowns.

In the video, some people can be heard yelling at Ms Nawat after she raised her voice to berate Ms Bosch and repeatedly told her to stop talking.

Many of them stood up to show their support and Mr Nawat said: “Anyone who wants to continue the match, please sit down. If you stand down, the rest of the girls will continue.”

Nonetheless, most of the women in the video appear standing, with some facing toward the door.

After leaving the event on Tuesday, Ms Bosch told the media the 60-year-old executive was “disrespectful” and that he called her “stupid”.

Mr Nawat disputed this, claiming his comments had been misunderstood.

He is widely known to have called the 25-year-old a “fool”. But later at a press conference he claimed he was saying she had caused “damage”.

His actions earned him a stern reprimand from the MUO, which dispatched a delegation of international executives to take over the running of the event.

MUO President Raul Rocha said in a video statement that Mr. Nawat had “forgotten what it really means to be a true host.”

He said the Thai official had “humiliated, insulted and shown a lack of respect” towards Ms Bosch and committed “serious abuse, including calling security officers to intimidate a defenseless woman”.

He said Mr Nawat’s participation in the competition would be restricted “as much as possible” or removed entirely, adding that the MUO would take “legal action” against him.

“I want to once again emphasize that Miss Universe is an empowerment platform for women so that their voices can be heard around the world,” Ms. Rocha said.

Among those out on Tuesday was Victoria Kjaer Theilvig, Miss Universe Denmark.

“This is about women’s rights,” she said as she left the event. “You shouldn’t handle it this way. It’s not rude to mess with another girl. So I’m just going to grab my coat and get out.”

Ms. Bosch later said in an interview: “I just want to let my country know and I’m not afraid to make my voice known. This place is stronger than ever. I have a purpose. I have something to say.”

“We live in the 21st century. I’m not a doll that gets made up, styled and dressed up,” she added.

“I am here to be the voice of all women and girls fighting for their cause and to let my country know that I am fully committed to it.”

Mr Nawat’s video outraged pageant fans, many of whom harshly criticized his actions and praised Ms Bosch’s response.

“I apologize to everyone if anyone was offended, uncomfortable or affected, especially the 75 or so girls who were in attendance,” Ms Nawat said in a social media video statement.