
Max Verstappen has once again threatened to quit Formula 1 if the rules are not changed in 2027.
Verstappen revealed in late March that he was considering leaving F1 at the end of this season due to dissatisfaction with new 2026 powertrain rules that force drivers to drive in unnatural ways to optimize lap times.
The FIA said last week that an agreement in principle had been reached with the 2027 teams, with the powertrain split moving from the current 50-50 split between internal combustion and electrical energy to a 60-40 split, reducing the amount of energy management.
Verstappen said on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix that the offer improves his chances of remaining in F1 next year because it is “just what it needs” for the sport.
But he had his future questioned again on Saturday after finishing sixth in Sunday’s race in Montreal.
Verstappen, who has a contract with Red Bull until the end of 2028, said: “If this continues, next year will be a long year that I don’t want.”
“It’s mentally impossible to keep going like this. It really isn’t.”
Asked if he would take a sabbatical in 2027 and return in 2028 after two years of changes, Verstappen replied: “No. There’s a lot of other fun stuff there.”
The FIA has already revised this year’s rules after the fourth round in Miami earlier this month, and drivers have responded positively.
However, while the 2027 changes have been agreed, the exact details of the changes remain under ongoing discussions between F1 engine manufacturers such as Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull-Ford, Audi and Honda.
This could result in changes being pushed back a year or adjustments not being enough to convince Verstappen to stay.
He said on Thursday: “I just want a good product in Formula 1 and (the proposed changes) will certainly improve the product.”
“The changes I mentioned earlier, hopefully that will happen next year, I think it will already help a lot. I’ve always said it doesn’t matter if you have a car or not. It’s just a product, and I think the product will get better, so naturally the enjoyment will go up.”
Mekies: Verstappen is interested in sports.
Verstappen has been skeptical about F1’s 2026 regulations from as early as 2023, and his criticism of the rules at the start of the season received loud support from other drivers on the grid.
The 28-year-old took part in the Nürburgring 24 Hours last weekend and has stepped up his non-F1 activities with six more visits to Germany’s Nordschleife in the past 12 months.
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies said making changes for next year and listening to drivers was “critical for the sport”.
“Max cares about the sport and the reason he is so vocal is because he really cares that Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport,” he said.
“He wants to see most of you qualify perfectly. He wants to see the fastest drivers be able to push as hard as they want in the corners without losing lap times. And he listens.
“There was a fantastic openness from stakeholders – the FIA, F1 and all the teams – to say ‘yes, we need to do something about this’.”
Sky Sports F1 Canadian GP Schedule
Sunday May 24th
3.40pm: F1 Academy Race 3
5pm: F2 Feature Race
7:30 p.m.: Build-up to the Canadian GP: Sunday Grand Prix*
9 p.m.: Canadian Grand Prix*
11 a.m.: Canadian GP reaction: checkered flag*
12:00 AM: Ted’s Note*
*Applies to Sky Sports main event as well
Formula 1 is in Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix and another sprint weekend. Watch the action live on Sky Sports F1 on Sunday at 9pm. Stream Sky Sports NOW – No Commitment, Cancel Anytime