
The joint decision by the top 20 players to limit media activity is the latest step in a long-running debate.
The players had their first meeting with Grand Slam last year and had further discussions, but progress was not made as much as the players wanted.
Here are the main issues players want to change:
-
Prize money – Recognizing players’ contribution to the financial success of a tournament, prize money to revenue ratios are high, with more money flowing to lower ranked players.
The group called on Slams to pay 22% of their revenue in prize money by 2030, saying the 15% offered by the French Open is inadequate.
This year’s Roland Garros prize money increased by 9.5%, but the annual increase was 20% at last year’s US Open and nearly 16% at the Australian Open in January.
French Open tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said she was “deeply saddened” by the action taken by the players but had “deep confidence” the issue would be resolved.
Mauresmo and Gilles Moretton, president of the French Tennis Federation (FFT), are scheduled to meet former WTA president Larry Scott, who represents the players in dispute, on Friday.
The participating players couldn’t care less whether a boycott of the major leagues could be their next course of action.
“I don’t know if I want to throw the ‘b-word’ at you,” Fritz said.
“I don’t think we should make that much of a threat if we’re not fully prepared.
“But if we’re being ignored and we get to the point where something needs to change, it’s about having a conversation.”